Moneragala, Story 2


I was born in Okkampitiya. Mother is from Kurunegala and father is from Bemmulla. They had come to live here after the marriage.

I am Sinhala Buddhist. I do farming for the living.

I have three children. Two sons and one daughter

I did A/Ls in Okkampitiya Maha Vidyalaya.

My husband’s name is Thilakarathne.  He used to work in a mine and those days, he stayed in my parent’s place. We fell in love with each other  and with the blessings of parents,  we got married in 1987.

Father worked in the farm as a worker.  He died in 1986.



I am 49 years old. I live in Galpeella village. I live in a two roomed house.  Myself,  my son, daughter, daughter in law and the grandson  live in this house together.

This time we are cultivating corn. Since we have enough rain this time, they grow well. The land is not  a large one. But I cultivate it on my own.

My son has a three wheeler. He joined the Commando Regiment in 2007. He left the Army after brother’s death. So, he doesn’t receive a salary from the  Army now.

I always remember my deceased son. I feel sad then. But when I see the little baby, I feel happy.

I was 14 when mother died.

My younger son joined the Army during the war. He still says that if there is a war again, he will join the Army. He likes it.

He feels that after the war ended, ex-soldiers are not treated with dignity or status. Therefore he prefers to live with the war.

My daughter could not bear the sorrow  after the death of her brother. She could not sit for the exam. Now she is  waiting for a job. Sometimes, she may sit for the exam next year. She passed O/Ls  with good results.



My son joined the Army when he turned 19. He joined the Army because of the financial problems family was facing after father’s death.

That day,  my daughter and I were in the house. The neighbors had received the news of his death and they came to our house. I was told that my son had been shot and he would be brought home. Later I got to know that he has died.

My son was serving in Uliyankulama, Killinochchi, at the time of his death.

My son’s tomb is in the public cemetery. I wanted to build it in my own land. But my sister didn’t let me do it. She thought that every time I saw the tomb I would think of him and get depressed.

Since this a border village, those days we lived  in fear. LTTE killed three people very close to our house.

It was  raining that day. I saw it with my own eyes. I saw two people were sitting by the road eating. Tigers  hacked  them and another girl to death. The plates they were eating rice from were  full of holes.  The rice had become  red with their blood. I was terrified and very sad.

Another incident happened close to my house. I saw the lady’s bloody hand prints on the walls after she had been hacked. Blood had become thick. To get dressed to go to the hospital, I had to pick her clothes through a window with the aid of a stick.

We didn’t even light a lamp those days. We closed the doors early in the evening, and didn’t open it for anything.


Our village should be provided electricity.

A job centre should be established for the youths in the village.

There should not be problems between the Sinhalese and the Tamils in future.

I wanted to fix the roof of my house. I wish my daughter gets a permanent job. Now we live on my son’s salary. I am worried for my daughter’s future.

I wish there will never be another war in this country.



Samurdhi Development Officer is very important to me

My elder sister and her son are important people in my life.

My son, daughter and daughter in law are important people to me.

My neighbors are the ones who helped me most. The Gramaseveraka officer is important to me.

Army officers helped a lot for the funeral of my son. Last year also they came and gave us a clock. They occasionally visit us.



I am thankful for my courage to live alone with the children.

I receive the salary of my deceased son. It is a great strength for me.

It  is good that I can release the pressure in my mind by telling my story.